Arroz Con Pollo Chicken with Rice
Recipe courtesy of Le Creuset.
Recipe uses any Le Creuset Buffet Casserole.
- 3 - 3½ pound chicken, cut up
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup smoked ham, diced
- ½ pound longanitza chonizo sausage (casing removed)
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup pimento stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Wash and dry the chicken, season well.
- Heat the oil in a buffet casserole and brown the pieces of chicken evenly. When it is browned transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Remove casing from sausage and crumble
- Saute the onions, pepper, garlic, ham and crumbled sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 - 3 minutes more.
- Add the rice, chicken broth, chicken pieces, and stir well, bringing to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer for 20 - 25 minutes. Check the consistency while cooking to ensure the liquid is absorbed - if not, cook without the lid for a few minutes. Season to taste.
- Serve garnished with the sliced green olives and cilantro.