Recipe: Cabbage Soup
- 2 lbs cabbage
- 1 large onion
- Salt to taste
- 2 lbs brisket of beef
- 2 qts boiling water
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 Tbl brown sugar
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tbl browned flour
- 1 Tbl shortening
- 1/2 cup soup
- Shred or chop the cabbage and onion.
- Salt lightly and let stand about 45 minutes or utnil it "sweats."
- Squeeze out the moisture.
- Sear the meat in the pot in which soup is to be cooked.
- When browned on all sides, add the cabbage and continue to sear meat and vegetables.
- When light brown, stir in the boiling water, add grated or diced carrot, the seasonings and stewed tomatoes.
- Cook over low heat about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add thickening 15 minutes before serving.
|Company Info Store Locations Careers In The News Homemade Fun! Newsletter||Contact Us Shipping Info Security & Privacy FAQ's Return Policy||Gift Registry Recipes & Tips Cooking Classes Store Events Top Brands on Sale Shop Our Catalog|