Curried Cream of Cauliflower & Apple Soup
Recipe courtesy of Chef Daniel Boulud and All Clad.
Recipe uses All Clad 3 qt. Sauce Pan and All Clad 6 qt. Stock Pot, available with Simply Soup Set.
Ingredients for Curried Cream of Cauliflower:
- 4 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 1½ tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads or 2 pinches of saffron powder
- 1 cup Golden Delicious apples (or other apple), peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 cups cauliflower (about 1 medium head), greens and stem discarded, head broken up into small florets
- 1 cup heavy cream
- - salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
Ingredients for Curried Apple Dice:
- 1 cup Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced in to ¼ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads or 1 pinch of saffron powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions for the Curried Cream of Cauliflower:
- Using a medium-size saucepan, such as the All-Clad 3-quart Saucepan, warm the chicken stock over medium heat.
- In a large pot (All-Clad 6-quart Stock Pot), melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions, curry powder and saffron and "sweat" for two minutes, stirring often. Add the sliced apple and sweat for another five minutes, stirring often. Add the cauliflower and warm chicken stock and bring to a boil. Boil until the cauliflower is tender when pierced with a knife, approximately 20 minutes. Add the cream and cook for three more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the soup in batches to a blender or food processor and puree at high speed until very smooth. Keep warm until ready to serve or refrigerate when cool and reheat just before serving.
Directions for the Curried Apple Dice:
- Combine the diced apple with one tablespoon of water in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the curry powder, saffron, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, cover with lid and cook for three minutes over medium heat. Strain and keep warm on the side.
Ladle soup into 4 heated soup bowls. Evenly divide the diced curried apple over the top, and then garnish with the minced chives.
To make entertaining easier, you can prepare this recipe in advance and reheat just before serving.