Classic tomato and basil sauce from Italy, courtesy of Le Creuset.
Le Creuset Recipe: Classic Tomato and Basil Sauce
Uses 3 1/2 quart round oven.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 celery stalks, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, grated coarsely
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 pounds canned plum tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- A large handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pat of butter, to finish
- Heat the oil in the Round Oven over a medium heat on the stovetop. Add the onion, celery, adn carrot and cook very gently for 4 to 5 minutes without letting the ingredients brown. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, roughly torn basil leaves, and plenty of seasoning. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Uncover the pan, increase the heat, and boil gently for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Use the sauce as it is in the "chunky" consistency, or puree in a food processor. Whichever texture you choose, stir the butter into the sauce just before serving: it rounds off the flavors and makes the sauce smoother.
|Company Info Store Locations Careers In The News Homemade Fun! Newsletter||Contact Us Shipping Info Security & Privacy FAQ's Return Policy||All Resources Gift Ideas Recipes Store Events Top Brands on Sale Buyer's Guides|