The Shun Classic is the original line of cutlery that introduced America to the thin, light and relentlessly sharp blades made with Japanese VG-10 steel. The Classic line flawlessly combines the style and precision of traditional Japanese cutlery with the strength and innovation of modern technology. And while the Classic is the original, the line continues to evolve. Now, each knife in the Shun Classic series is made with a core of Shun's proprietary VG-MAX super steel; a highly engineered carbon steel alloy with improved strength and stress-resistance over VG-10 steel for thin blade construction. This "super steel" is at the core of every Shun Classic blade; it is extremely hard (60-61 Rockwell), takes an incredible edge and holds it longer. The blade is forged with 16 individual layers of stainless Damascus-style cladding per side, for a total of 32 layers of cutting core support and protection. This traditional construction is not just beautiful. It also facilitates the scant 16° bevel that creates a razor-sharp edge. The Classic's Pakkawood handles are made from layers of white birch wood that have been dyed black and layered with resin. This material has the appearance of wood but is much more durable. Traditional "D"-shaped handles have proven for centuries to give the user greater stability, control and grip options. The stainless end bolster improves handle durability, finish quality and balance.
Shun Classic Knives
Features of Shun Classic Knives include:
- Forged-Steel Blade - Fully forged VG-MAX "super steel" core is clad with 16 layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel on each side to produce a rust-free Damascus-look
- Thin blades with a 16° bevel on each side
- Damascus design stregthens blade and also reduces food's ability to stick
- Ultimate Edge - Shun's proprietary VG-MAX cutting core measures 60-61 on the Rockwell Hardness Scale; it takes and holds an incredibly sharp edge longer
- "D" Shape PakkaWood Handle - provides beauty and function while offering optimal comfort and control. PakkaWood is strong, stable and moisture resistant
- Stainless-Steel Bolster - unique, offset design enhances ergonomic qualities for the highest level of safety and control.
- Stainless-Steel End Cap - adds beauty and durability
- Professional Grade - Shun Classic knives are prized by professional chefs and cooks for comfortable, fast and precise performance
|Company Info Store Locations Careers In The News Homemade Fun! Newsletter||Contact Us Shipping Info Security & Privacy FAQ's Return Policy||Gift Registry Recipes & Tips Cooking Classes Store Events Special Offers Shop Our Catalog|