Recipe: Nancy P.'s Smoked Cheddar Double-Baked Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of The NFL Game Day Cookbook
by Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe
Published by Chronicle Books
Nancy P.’s Smoked Cheddar Double-Baked Potatoes
I was at my friend Nancy’s house one day and I tricked her into making these and writing down the recipe for me. They’re really good.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 bunches green onions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ½-inch cubes smoked Cheddar cheese
- Paprika, as needed.
- Wash the potatoes, poke a few holes in them, and rub them with the oil. Bake for 1 hour, or until tender. Let them cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onions are soft. Set aside. Slice the top off the potatoes and scoop out the pulp into a medium bowl. Set the skins aside. With a potato masher, crush the potato pulp. Add the onion mixture, cream, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add the cheese and fold gently until mixed well. Spoon the potato mixture back into the shells. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and return to the oven for 15 minutes, or until hot.