Summer Picnic Coleslaw with a Twist
We love coleslaw and enjoyed this fun take on the picnic classic. Fresh pineapple adds a nice punch of tart, sweet flavor. We also added broccoli for a little more crunch and thinly sliced scallions for their herby, mildly sweet onion flavor.
We also broke up the traditionally heavy mayonnaise sauce with a little sour cream and rice vinegar to make a lighter, fresher sauce for this coleslaw - making it an even better complement to hearty BBQ, like ribs or burgers.
The Twist! Don't settle for canned pineapple in this recipe or any other! Enjoy fresh pineapple in all your recipes, and for snacking too with the Pineapple Easy Slicer will peel, core, slice and wedge a fresh pineapple in seconds.
Working like a corkscrew, the stainless steel Pineapple Easy Slicer quickly cuts down into the pineapple as you twist it, allowing you to remove the core and slice beautiful rings of pineapple in one easy step. You can cut cubes of pineapple in no time!
To prepare the salad there are two easy ways to get shredded cabbage - thinly slicing cabbage with a knife or using a mandoline slicer. We loved the mandoline method as it sliced our cabbage evenly and quickly, along with the onions. We have two great options for quick even slicing, the Boner V-Slice Mandoline and and a smaller Hand-Held Slicer from OXO. Both work great for this recipe and many other slicing jobs.
Mandolines and hand-held slicers have the added benefit of getting beautiful thin slices of tomatoes and onions for sandwiches or burgers. Slice zucchini and julienne vegetables for stir fry's or Bahn Mi sandwiches.
Summer Pineapple Coleslaw
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 Green Onions, sliced thin on the bias
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- ½ head Purple Cabbage, thinly sliced/shredded
- ½ head Green Cabbage, thinly sliced/shredded
- 1 Large Carrot, shredded (or 2 small)
- 1 head Broccoli, chopped into small florets
- ½ Small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Fresh Pineapple, finely diced
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, rice vinegar and sugar. Add salt & pepper to taste.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the shredded cabbages and carrots, chopped red onion, pineapple and broccoli, plus half of the scallions.
3. Add mayonnaise mixture and toss to coat. Top with remaining scallions to garnish. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Inspired Cooks Blog — Cook more. Eat better. And have more fun!
Sign Up Now and you won't miss a morsel!