Shun Kanso 8" Chef's Knife
The Shun Kanso 8" Chef's Knife has more of a East-meets-West vibe than traditional Western Chef's profile. But whatever you want to call it, it works. The no-nonsense, bolsterless design (and yes-it's fully forged) extends from tang to blade with an open heel and edge that starts flat before bowing up to meet the tip. That makes this 8" Chef's Knife feel really maneuverable, and great for chopping or push-cutting on the heel or chopping on the top third, while the tip is easily capable of brunoise dicing and other fine-edge work. The upturned belly slices, rocker-chops and pull-cuts as well as any traditional chef's knife profile, too; this is a versatile primary knife. The length of the double-bevel edge is hand sharpened to Shun's signature 16° per side, so the performance is smooth, effortless and precise.
Again, the Kanso line is clearly not about "shine". The AUS10A high-carbon, vanadium stainless steel is treated to a special "Heritage" finish, which is kind of an out-of-the-box patina that lends very well to the elemental philosophy of the Shun Kanso Line. But it also hides the fine scratches that come with use, and it continues to wear into an understated but handsome sheen. If you like the look, don't hesitate to buy; the performance is as inspired as any Shun blade and the feel is unique. The Shun Kanso 8" Chef's Knife is handcrafted in Seki, Japan and backed by Shun's limited lifetime warranty. And like all Shun blades, The Kanso Line includes free lifetime sharpening.
Features of Shun Kanso 8" Chef's Knife include:
- Primary knife versatility in a spared-down elemental design
- Rustic "Heritage" finish adds understated beauty that looks better with age
- Hybrid profile offers great agility, versatility and cutting performance
- Forged from AUS10A high-carbon, vanadium stainless steel
- Hand-sharpened 16° double-bevel blade
- Lightweight, strong and very sharp
- Full, flat tang extends all the way through the handle
- Contoured tagayasan (iron sword wood) handles
- Offers comfort and precise control
- Handcrafted in Japan
- Manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty
Free Shipping on orders of $59 or more!