Most items ship same day.
in the Continental U.S. and most items ship same day.
Go ahead, surprise mom this Mother's Day with a virtual trip to Charleston, South Carolina with this creamy, cheesy and soul-satisfying Shrimp and Grits recipe.
A dish that is equal parts comforting, filling, flavorful and fresh. This is one of those dishes that somehow feels nostalgic, even if you didn't grow up in the south. We took the liberty of adding bright red bell peppers, bacon and scallions for extra punches of flavor. We also, of course, loved the addition of sharp cheddar. Because cheese always makes everything better.
And, maybe it's time to treat mom to some new cookware this Mother's Day! Here's a couple sets we're sure she'll love and put to good use.
This Nonstick 2-Piece Fry Pan Set from Scanpan is the perfect addition to any kitchen cookware collection. The 8" skillet is ideal for preparing small individual portions like omelets and grilled cheese, while the 10" is just the thing for bigger dishes like stir fries and pasta.
The All Clad d3 Stainless Steel 2-Piece Kitchen Helper Set is just that- a pair of go to helpers that will pull more than their weight in any kitchen. The set consists of an 8" fry pan and a 1 quart sauce pan that will be there when you need to sear, sauté or simmer with a small footprint. Ideal for the 4th burner or those times when you need a smaller pot by a larger one.
Servings: 6 | Prep & Cook Time: Approx. 1 Hour & 20 minutes
For The Cheesy Grits:
1. Prepare the cheesy grits: bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan or sauté pan. Add grits and simmer about 15-20 minutes until chicken stock is absorbed. Add milk, 1/2 cup at a time and cook another 15 minutes until grits have thickened and creamy. Stir in butter.
2. Add grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
3. Prepare the shrimp and sausage: preheat a frying pan or sauté pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned and crispy. Remove from pan to a paper-towel lined plate to cool and drain, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the pan along with the bacon grease and heat over medium heat until oil is shimmering. Add the onion and bell pepper, cooking until onions are translucent and bell peppers are tender.
5. Add the garlic, Cajun seasoning, lemon juice and shrimp to the pan and continue to cook 3-4 minutes until the shrimp are pink and opaque. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Empty the pan into a medium bowl.
6. In the same pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook 3-4 minutes, just until lightly browned, add the cooked chopped bacon and cook for 1 minute just to warm the bacon up. Add to the bowl with the shrimp, and stir together.
7. Divide the grits among 6 bowls. Divide the shrimp and sausage mixture among bowls and top with scallions. Serve immediately.
Don't miss a post from our Inspired Cooks Blog — Sign Up Now —and you won't miss a morsel!