Most items ship same day!
in the Continental U.S. and most items ship same day!
Brought to you by one of the best cooks I've ever met, my friend's grandma, Judy. This crowd-pleasing cake is shockingly simple. With fluffy layers of vanilla cake, a whipped cream and mascarpone frosting, and cherry filling this dessert is stunning, simple, and delicious!
We took advantage of our NEW favorite vanilla extract! Premium vanilla beans are placed inside the amber bottle and covered with top-shelf rum. You can use the beans in your baking when the extract is gone.
Vain Original Baker's Blend combines the classic rich vanilla tones of Planifolia beans and the delicate floral notes of the Tahenisis bean to create a unique, subtle, sweetness that can only be achieved when extracted in cane rum. The result is an exceptional vanilla extract perfect for everyday use.
We also took advantage of this Reusable Decorating Set from Ateco. The Ateco Extra Wide Pastry Decorating Tip Set includes an #824 star, (which we used for this recipe), an #806 plain pastry tube tip and a 12" plastic coated pastry bag that makes it easy to add patterned icing to cakes, cupcakes, pies, and more. Made of durable stainless steel, these decorating tips are rust-resistant and designed to withstand repeated use without bending out of shape. Includes multilingual instructions and recipes. Made in the USA.
Servings: 9-12 | Prep Time: 2 Hours | Print Recipe
1. Prepare the Vanilla Cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square cake pan and line the bottom with a square piece of parchment paper.
2. In a stand mixer set with the paddle attachment, whip, on medium-high speed, the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Decrease to medium and add the vanilla extract, butter flavoring and sour cream and mix until incorporated.
3. Add the eggs one at time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
4. Stir together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with the milk in 2 additions each. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth, but do not over mix.
5. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove pans and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake out of the pan onto cooling rack and allow to complete cooling.
6. Prepare the Mascarpone Frosting: In a stand mixer set with the whisk attachment, whip together the cream, mascarpone and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
7. Assemble the cake: slice cake in half, creating two layers. Spread cherry pie filling on the bottom half of cake and lay the top half on top. Spread or pipe frosting over the top of cake and decorate with stemmed Maraschino cherries. Eat immediately!
I realized just after I finished decorating the cake that I should have used Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cherries for the garnish! That hint of bourbon would be great among all that decadent whipped cream and mascarpone cheese frosting! Oh well, there's always next time.
Hey, before you go, make sure you're signed up to get the latest posts from our blog, Inspired Cooks. Cook more. Eat better. And have more fun!